Once a test plan has been developed and implemented, testers have to follow this plan to ensure that tests being executed are correct, along with other requirements and other supporting documents. Once there is a change or update being requested by the users, one of the test management activities being used is the Software Configuration Management. This activity is used to ensure currentness and effectiveness of the test plan. A test plan is a document that describes the designed scope, method to use, features to be tested, resources, and schedule of testing activities. Also, it should be viewed as a contract among the stakeholders and the testers in software development. It can be viewed as a successful testing if tests are executed according to what is stated on the test plan.
Through CM, a test plan is continually being updated or changed as circumstances during the development change. E.g. new request or change was required by the clients, or the developers weren't able to send a build on time, then system plan must change or updated.
Relation of Configuration Management (CM) to Software Testing
Configuration Management is the ability to maintain control over the changes made to the test plan. The more difficult the software is, the more it's important to implement the changes to the software and to its supporting documents in a controlled approach. In software testing, if there is a change on the test plan during the project development, the tests designed and built, and other supporting documents in testing must also be updated. Testers need to ensure that they're using the correct version of the test plan so that the test cases to be executed and test data to use are correct. If the latest version will not be used, changes and other areas affected might not be tested properly.
What are the project artifacts or documents that need to be updated for testing?
- Requirements – update or add requirements based on request or circumstances during the development.
- Test cases and procedures – add test cases and procedures based on the new change during the development. Modify other test cases if they're affected by the update.
- Automated test scripts – add or modify test scripts based on the new request. Modify other test scripts if they're affected by the new change.
- Documentation like User documentation or manuals – update documentation to maintain the currentness of the test plan.
- Design models – update Design models based on the new change.
- Analysis models -– update Analysis models based on the new change.
- If needed, Hardware and configuration setting based on the new change
- And other documents needed in software testing.